Whidbey Island Coupeville Bed and Breakfast


About Whidbey Island

  • Bed and Breakfast Whidbey Island Coupeville
    Sunset on Penn Cove
  • Bed and Breakfast Whidbey Coupeville
    Red Rain on Ebey's
  • Bed and Breakfast Coupeville
    Sunset in Lighthouse
  • Coupeville Bed and Breakfast
    Ripcurl at Ebey's
  • Coupeville Aerie on Penn Cove Bed and Breakfast
    Farmland and Mount Baker
  • Coupeville Aerie on Penn Cove Bed BnB Breakfast
    Seaside Park
  • Coupeville Aerie on Penn Cove BnB Rental
    Sunset on Pacific
  • Coupeville Aerie on Penn Cove Vacation Rental
    Admiralty Head Lighthouse
  • Aerie on Penn Cove Vacation Rental Coupeville
    Ebey's Hill Road
  • Whidbey Island Bed and Breakfast
    Forests and Mount Baker
  • Aerie on Penn Cove Bed and Breakfast Coupeville
    Sunset on Ebey's
  • Whidbey Island Bed and Breakfast
    Greenbank Farm

Whidbey Island was once inhabited by members of the Lower Skagit, Swinomish, Suquamish, Snohomish and other Native American tribes. The first known European sighting of Whidbey Island was during the 1790 Spanish expedition of Manuel Quimper and Gonzalo López de Haro on the Princesa Real. The island was fully explored in 1792 by Captain George Vancouver. In May of that year, Royal Navy officers and members of Vancouver's expedition, Joseph Whidbey and Peter Puget, began to map and explore the areas of what would later be named Puget Sound. After Whidbey circumnavigated the island in June 1792, Vancouver named the island in his honor.

The first known overnight stay on Whidbey Island by a non-native American was made on May 26, 1840 by a Catholic missionary during travel across Puget Sound.

Lieutenant Charles Wilkes, commander of the United States Exploring Expedition of 1838–1842, sailed the USS Vincennes into Penn Cove in 1841. There he found the largest Native settlement on Puget Soundand noted that a Catholic mission had been started with a 2-acre fenced garden. Wilkes named the lower cove Holmes Harbor, after his assistant surgeon, Silas Holmes.

In 1850, Colonel Isaac N. Ebey became the first permanent white settler on Whidbey Island, claiming a square mile of prairie with a southern shoreline on Admiralty Inlet. Even though he was farming potatoes and wheat on his land, he was also the postmaster for Port Townsend, Washington and rowed a boat daily across the inlet in order to work at the post office there. Fort Ebey, named for the Colonel, was established in 1942 on the west side of the central part of the island, just northwest of Coupeville.

Admiralty Head Lighthouse is located in this area, on the grounds of Fort Casey State Park. The area around Coupeville is the federally protected Ebey's Landing National Historical Reserve, named in honor of Isaac Ebey. Citation courtesy of wikipedia

The Aerie on Penn Cove is taking Spring Reservations

We are looking forward to making you a comfortable guest in Coupeville.


The room was beautiful and very comfortable. The breakfast was amazing! But, most of all, Ralph is a very kind and welcoming person, He immediately put us at ease and made for a wonderful visit. Fantastic Retreat!